Thursday, February 14, 2013

Toughest guy around

Caleb has shingles.  Again.  He started complaining that his "hair" hurt on Sunday night.  By Monday AM, he had a tiny cluster of blisters behind his ear.  By the afternoon it was confirmed and he was started on a high dose of anti-viral medication.  There was much talk about admitting him to the hospital because he's still on a big dose of steroids (and the shingles virus will thrive in this environment.)  So far he has avoided it, but this morning, he has a bunch more spots.  Boo!!

This time, they are mostly in his hair so he has a hard time lying down.  I am kicking myself for not making him get his haircut on Friday.  (Here is a pic from day 3)


But, this time around is NOTHING compared to the last time.  We caught it very early, instead of being misdiagnosed for 4 days. (Pic of day 4 last time)



He is so tough.  I have heard that shingles are extremely painful.  They wanted to prescribe a medication to help with the pain (neurontin), but he declined.  "I'm okay," he said.  I have been giving him Tylenol, but I doubt that even helps.

He has another doctor's appt later today.  Hopefully we will leave without a ticket to the hospital. 




No comments: