Caleb had his feeding clinic appt yesterday. I am happy to report that he is now 21 pounds 5 oz and 30.5 inches tall. He gained over a pound in 6 weeks! Our new feeding regimen is obviously paying off. It's still not easy, but a huge improvement since only 6 weeks ago I couldn't even get a spoon near his mouth. And if I did happen to get food in his mouth, he'd end up vomiting to avoid swallowing. The cup issue continues though. I still cannot get him to drink his thickened formula from a cup. (I don't know if I mentioned it before, but he "failed" his recent swallow study. It showed that he aspirates (fluid into his lungs) when he drinks regular liquids from a cup. So, we have to make whatever he's drinking thicker so it goes down the right tube.) Caleb on the other hand does not think that he needs to have his drinks thickened and refuses to drink them. But he coughs, chokes and takes several swallows with one sip of thin liquids. So that's one battle we continue to fight. But, I figure we can only change one thing at a time and he's doing so great with eating. He does a lot better at eating when there are other people around to "show" how he can take a bite. For instance, I say "Show daddy how you take a bite." and he will open his mouth up widely. It's a little more difficult during the day since it's just me and him, but he also likes to show Macy (our dog).. He'll look over the side of his high chair and open his mouth. It's pretty cute. Anyway, the feeding team was very impressed with his progress since the last time they saw him. The GI doc doesn't want to see him until November! So other than meeting with the feeding team's speech therapist and dietitian periodically, Caleb doesn't have any scheduled doctor appointments until OCTOBER!! I don't know what we'll do with all of our time!
I, on the other hand cannot STOP eating! I am now 12 weeks pregnant. It's a great feeling. Nothing too new to report. I am still feeling sick in the AM and at night, but I am getting my energy back which helps a ton. I'm very anxious to have another ultrasound just to reassure myself that I am still pregnant!
Joel is going to be gone all weekend at a softball tournament, so Caleb and I are on our own. Not sure what we'll do, but I sure hope that the weather cools off a little bit (or at least is less humid) so we can actually do something fun outside. He loves being outside, but the air has been so thick lately and since his lungs are still crappy I don't let him stay out too long. I'm probably just being overprotective. Anyway, I think that's all I have to report for now. Thank you for your continued prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love having a place where I can regularly check in on you and Caleb (and the new bean--CONGRATULATIONS!) and not have to wait for your email updates! To upload pictures (can you tell I need a Caleb fix?): when you are typing up a post, click on the photo icon (I think it is an square icon with a picture of a mountain on it) and it will take you to a window that allows/instructs you to upload a photo. Then you drag the photo (or copy it and paste it) to where you want it to be and, viola! A photo in your post for your readers to enjoy!
So glad to hear that Caleb is doing so well with the eating. I know it can be a big struggle--sounds like he's on the right track! Enjoy the next couple of months doctor's appointments-free!
Trisha,
Thanks for the blog invite! You're inspiring me...perhaps I'll finally start one too someday. I just can't believe that baby #2 is due on the same exact date as Caleb was. I think that you are destined to have a baby on that day...and this is going to be the one! It sounds like this is already a very different pregnancy from your last one. Keep up the great baby growing!
Cora
mama to Amelia
Great Blog Trisha!!! I am just so happy for the newest member of the Teisl family!!! I am definitely praying for an uneventful pregnancy!!
Wow Caleb is 21 lbs already!! That is really wonderful!! Gosh he might pass Troy soon (the last time he was weighed I think he was only 24 or 25 lbs)....way to go Caleb!!
Post a Comment