Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sick

I've been a bit more venturesome with taking the boys to the store together when we need something. Of course I always use bleach wipes all over the cart before I put them in it and make sure I Purell their hands before we get into the car. Well, now I think Caleb is paying for it. (Although he could have gotten it at speech therapy or at his preschool testing last week I guess.) Anyway, he's been sick since Sunday. He has some sort of stomach virus that's really taking its tole on him. He hasn't really had anything solid to eat since Sunday and I can tell this is going to be a huge setback in the eating department. All he wants is his "bobbys" (bottles). I put him on the scale today and he's already lost over a pound (which I know is mostly water weight and he'll gain it back, but still...) He's never been a great drinker, so it's been exhausting trying to make sure he stays hydrated.

I thought he was turning the corner, but this afternoon/evening he's been on the toilet about every hour again. I have been amazed that he hasn't regressed with potty training since his diarrhea is so bad. He hasn't had one accident yet. He even got up 5 times during the night screaming he had to go "potty." And to top it off, he's vomited several times as well. Poor guy.
Joel has it too and he said he's never felt this sick before and actually stayed home all week because of it. (This is a guy who didn't miss a day of work last year due to an illness, so I know it must really be bad.) If it's that bad for him, I cannot imagine how terrible Caleb feels.

I spoke with his pediatrician and he said that as long as he pees at least every 4-6 hours, that's good enough to keep him out of the hospital. This is the number one thing they are seeing in the office lately and he really doesn't want C admitted if we can avoid it. He also said it's been lasting at least a week. Great. It breaks my heart to see him so miserable. He keeps telling us, "Cawub no feel good." "No feel betta" (better)

It seems like Isaac can sense that C doesn't feel good because he can't seem to leave him alone. Everywhere Caleb is, Isaac wants to be and he pulls himself up so he can be closer to him. He was bringing Caleb toy after toy today...it was so sweet. Of course C was just throwing them back at him though. I don't know how many times I've heard "No, I!" and "No I hoppy!" I am praying that Isaac and I do not get it too.

And even though he's sick, he's still coming up with some cute things....
I lit a candle in the bathroom because I seriously could not go in there without feeling sick myself (Joel is gonna love me for putting that on here!) When I took C to the bathroom, he said to me "Mmmmm, mells wondaful in he-a" (smells wonderful in here!)

I usually shop at Target, but Walmart was on my way home the other day so I stopped there and got diapers. When I got home, C asked me if I got them at the "circle store" and I told him I got them at Walmart. When Joel was getting him ready for bed the other night I heard C telling him, "Mom dot diapa's at Walmawt, no at circle store, no at Menawds" (Mom got diapers at Walmart, not circle store, not at Menards) Joel said "Really?" And Caleb replied "Diapa's fum Walmawt, tools fum Menards" (Diapers from Walmart, tools from Menards.) I don't know where he gets this stuff!

He looked at me today (wearing sweat pants, a sweat shirt and my hair up..totally NOT looking my best) and said, "Mom woo so pwetty." (You so pretty) If that isn't enough to melt my heart!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Trisha,
The boys are so adorable! I love reading about all of your latest adventures. On the flu note, Caitlin was sick all last week. Hopefully you all get better soon. I know there are a lot of people (teachers and students) at work who are sick. In fact, I was the only teacher there in third grade on Friday! Anyhow, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Take care,
Heidi