Monday, December 6, 2010

Five years old....WOW!

I still cannot believe our baby is FIVE! He's been counting down the days and is thrilled that he's not "four and a half" anymore. We had a little party with our friends and their kids and my parents last weekend (he'll have another family one in June for his 5.5 birthday). He decided he wanted a "Corey Hart" (from the Milwaukee Brewers) cookie cake. I tried a couple places and they couldn't make it since it's considered "free hand" but the good old grocery store down the road came through! I think it turned out SO cute! And he loved it.


A group shot of most of the kiddos.


He had a great time at his party and was spoiled with many nice gifts. I think his favorite one was the garbage truck from his Uncle Tristan and Auntie Colleen. (After all, he wants to be a garbage man when he grows up!) It's been the reason for many fights between him and Isaac. So I think there's another garbage truck coming to our house in the Christmas future.

Today, I got to help out in his class. It was great to see him trying to socialize, however he doesn't stay focused on one activity to really play with anyone. He continues to bounce from thing to thing to thing. We made reindeer cookies for his class, which were a huge hit.



After school, I took him to a bakery and let him pick out something for desert and so we could sing Happy Birthday to him again. He picked out little peppermint chocolate cakes for him and Isaac. He made the comment "Good thing they had two of the same one!" He knows his little brother too well and that it would have ended in a huge tantrum if they weren't the same. Of course Isaac needed candles too.



His all time favorite present was the Ford Mustang that Isaac picked out for him. He LOVES it. Mustangs are his latest obsession. It's meant to be a collector thing and not a toy, so of course it's already been broken a couple times. Thank goodness for super glue. I tried to get a picture of him with it, but no such luck. Stay tuned.

Like I said, I cannot believe that he's 5 years old. The little baby the docs told us most likely wouldn't survive. He has endured more in his 5 years than most people do in a life time, but you'd never know it. I was pretty emotional this year. I am not sure why...maybe because five years seems like some sort of milestone? I don't know. I am just thrilled that he's here and doing so well. He's one tough cookie, that's for sure! HAPPY BIRTHDAY CALEB RYAN!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CALEB!!!!

Love your NICU Buddy Joshua

Cora said...

Happy Birthday! 5 years old already...wow!