Wednesday, December 22, 2010

One down, 2 to go

Caleb had his over night oxygen test last night. The respiratory therapist came to our house and showed me how to set it up. At first he showed me a plastic clip that would clamp onto C's finger. I told him that would NOT work because A) Caleb has sensory issues and that would drive him crazy, B) It looked like an adult sized clip and he has skinny minnie fingers, C) It was easily removed and a certain someone was very intrigued with the little red light inside...aka it would never be on his finger even if it did fit and D) There was no way it would stay on all night unless I stayed awake and watched him sleep. He also brought one that tapes on the finger, but was also for adults and one like the kind he wore in the NICU. That's the one we ended up using (another advantage of him being small!).

I knew that this wouldn't be an easy test to do because of Caleb's sensory issues as well his need to know everything about everything. I set it up and he instantly became anxious about his heart and toe (where I put the probe). He also became obsessed with watching the monitor and his numbers. (Which ironically Joel and I both commented on the fact that we too instantly went back into the mode of constantly watching his monitor, just like we did in the NICU). After a lot of reassuring that he was fine and the test was just to show the doctor that his lungs were okay, he finally fell asleep. In the 2ish hours I laid with him, his sats never went below 97% (which is what he is when he's awake). I am a bit worried about his resting heart rate because it stayed in the low 100's snd upper 90's. I'll have to ask about that at his appointment.



He started yelling for me at 5AM after he inspected the monitor and noticed that it was "blinking yellow!!!" This means that it wasn't picking up his sats. I had no idea how long it wasn't working because they turned off all of the alarms. And then I couldn't get it to pick up any readings. I called the company when they opened and they said they only needed 4 solid hours in order to get a good reading and they would come and check to see if we needed to repeat it. The man just called me to tell me that the monitor was actually on for a solid 7 hours and that the "unofficial" results looked good! He only had a total of 44 seconds where he was below 89% and most of the night he remained in the mid 90's. (He was never above 98%, which isn't surprising and is still okay.)

So hopefully he has passed test one of Dr Crazy's plan! Please pray that the next 2 go just as smoothly and also have good results!

No comments: