I hate to keep comparing Caleb and Isaac since their start at life was completely opposite, but I cannot get over how different they are. "Solid" has never been a term used to describe Caleb. Tiny, petite, and little are words I hear all the time. I took Isaac in for his one month check up and he now weighs a whopping 11 pounds, 1 oz. He's in the 75th percentile for height, weight and head circumference, while Caleb continues to struggle to stay on the chart. Their ped told me Isaac is "definitely a solid baby." He's now eating at least 3-4 oz every 2 hours during the day and at night he's been known to drink an 8 oz bottle and then want more! I have gone from having one kid who I cannot get enough into, to having a kid that I feel like I am overfeeding! Our doc assured me that he's not overeating and looks "fabulous." He's already able to hold his head up for long periods of time when on his tummy and tracks toys when we play with him. He's starting to smile, which is so much fun. I love the big gummy smiles he has. He's such a happy guy and rarely cries. He's such a little blessing.
Now that we have a "full term" baby, it really sinks in how sucky prematurity really is. Of course I always have know that it sucks, but now we have a baby that is thriving from the start and it really makes me think. Sometimes when I look at Isaac, I start feeling really guilty about how crappy Caleb's first months were and how much he continues to struggle in some areas. I know that it wasn't my fault and there's nothing that can be done about it now, but it still makes me sad. It helps that Caleb is really thriving right now (except in the eating area). His memory is better than mine, he's running all over the place, he loves to dance, and he's really starting to talk now. Still hard to understand, but at least he's making an effort to speak. He rarely uses his signs anymore unless I have no idea what he's talking about. Then he'll do the sign really fast as if he's saying "I hate translating for you, mom!" He still signs "more," "thank you," and "please" every time which is so sweet. He's definitely come a long way!

1 comment:
You have 2 adorable boys, Trisha! Caleb sure is a little ham for the camera!
Post a Comment