Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Never a Dull Moment...

We went to MN for the weekend to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday. Since Caleb took an early nap on Friday, I figured he'd take a nice long nap once we got on the road. Not so much. He was either whining or screaming the entire 7 hours it took us to get there. I had taken him to the library and checked out 8 new DVD's for him to watch, brought a million books and toys, but nothing made him happy. Talk about complete misery. Luckily Isaac was a little gem. He slept, looked out the window, played with his bug, and kept looking at Caleb as if he was thinking "What in the heck is this guy's problem?!" Then Saturday, Caleb started running a fever and complaining that his "Mout huts" (mouth hurts). We couldn't see anything wrong with his mouth, except that he's finally getting his 12th tooth. His fever came down with Tylenol but he just wasn't himself at all. He seemed better in the evening, so while my parents watched the boys, Joel and I went out with some of my old high school friends. We had a good time and it was good to get out without them for a change. His fever came back that night and of course we ran out of Tylenol so I had to run to a gas station (the only open "store") at 3 AM. (The thermometer read 103 and then the battery ran out. Not sure if I really want to know what it was, he was SO hot.) We were all up most of the night, well except for Isaac. He was completely oblivious to what was going on. Sunday he still had a fever in the AM, but was acting okay. We decided to stay for my dad's birthday party, but left that evening to make the long trip back. We were originally going to stay until Monday, but with Caleb sick we didn't want to sit in the holiday traffic which would make the long trip even longer. The trip home was also awful. He still had a fever all day on Monday and had sores on the top of his mouth, so I called the on-call ped and he wanted Caleb to go in for blood tests. In the mean time, Caleb's ped called me (while on vacation in Chicago) and told me that he thought based on his symptoms, C has the coxsackie virus (hand, foot, and mouth virus). He said that's the #1 thing they are seeing in the office right now and it's very contagious so he could have picked it up anywhere. (I am blaming the library, but who knows.) Since he's teething, his hands are always in his mouth. We decided to wait and see how he was today and not get the labs drawn. He had one fever of 102.8 today, and was very sleepy but seemed in a better mood tonight. (Edit: he's been in bed for 2 hours and has been up screaming 4 times already...I think it's going to be another long night.) If he has a fever tomorrow he's probably going to have to get his blood drawn. He's not eating at all, but has been drinking some bottles. I guess that's one good thing about him still wanting bottles and drinking formula. He's loving the fact that we aren't making him eat food and I am sure it's going to be another setback for him in the eating department. It's also good that he still is not crazy about Isaac and isn't around him too much. I just pray he doesn't get it too. Caleb looks miserable and there is really nothing we can do to make it better which really sucks. Like I always say, there's never a dull moment around here!

No comments: