Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The 784th Reason...

.....Caleb should not sleep in our bed*.

I was lying in bed with my eyes closed listening to Isaac yell from his crib, "Momma, are youuuuu? Are youuuu? Momma?" (He does this every AM and I think it's so cute!) I was just going to get up when I heard a loud thud. Yep, Caleb, who was lying right next to me, fell out of bed and cracked his head on the bedside table.

It was a huge gash, but the nurse in me thought it would be okay if I just put a butterfly bandaid on it like the last time he broke his head. Thankfully my mom is here visiting, so she went out and got bandaids while I stayed with the boys. I tried several times to butterfly it shut and even tried steri-strips that I had in the medicine box (no idea why I had those in there!) But the gash wasn't really staying closed that great. It looked "okay" but I was uncomfortable leaving it like that. I called the ped's office when they opened and of course they don't do sutures there, so I had to take him to the ER.

Luckily the Children's ER was empty when we got there (a line started to form when we were in "triage" but they whisked us back to a room right away. Thankfully, they put us in a "negative pressure" room, so no crap floating around in the air in the hallway could enter his room. We haven't (THANKFULLY!) been to the ER since C was a baby and it's much nicer now. It's been completely remodeled and it was actually pretty clean. I still didn't let him touch anything though!


The PA took one look at it and said he needed stitches and went to get some lidocaine gel to numb it up. Caleb did SO well while we were there. The entire ride to the ER, he told me he didn't want to "lay down dare." So I told them that it would be better if they just semi-reclined the bed instead of making him lay flat. He was also very uneasy about the blue gloves in the boxes on the wall, probably because those are the gloves they wear when they are drawing his blood. He kept saying "No gwobes momma?" Luckily, the PA used white sterile gloves to do the stitches and he was fine with that. I also had to tell her to stop explaining everything to him because I could tell he was getting very anxious with her descriptions. I realize this is what they need to do with most children, but Caleb is a worrier and it's better to just get it done rather than drag it out with explanations.

He only yelled "ouch" a couple times, and I think it was because he didn't like it when the string fell onto his face. He ended up with 10 stitches (5 inside, 5 outside) so I am glad I decided to take him in!! He was a huge trooper and couldn't wait to get his purple Popsicle when they were done (which he finished in less than 5 minutes!). We had to wait for them to talk with his immunologist to see if there was any special instructions and then we were out of there.

On the way home, I asked him if he wanted to get food from McDonald's. He told me he wanted a "Han-gurger with cheese." He ate 3/4 of it and a whole chicken nugget before we got home, 15 minutes later! Maybe he should bonk his head more often if it makes him eat like that (just not as hard of course!)

And since Isaac has to do everything Caleb does, he needs a bandaid on his head 24/7 too!


*For those of you who don't know, Caleb always STARTS in his bed at night, but at some point, he ends up in our bed with us. (Sometimes it's 11PM, sometimes not until 5AM....)

5 comments:

Cora said...

Yikes. The joys of little boys. They both look so very proud of their injured foreheads. Glad that you got in & out of the dirty ER quickly.

Trisha said...

Well, I should have mentioned that we were there almost 3 hours! At least we were in a room the entire time and not sitting in the waiting room. And luckily for me, Caleb was extremely good. Although I had to answer about 2 million "why" and "what" questions.....

Anonymous said...

Wow 10 stitches?? Oh my!! Please tell Caleb that we are so proud of him for being so brave and we hope he recovers quickly!!
On the plus side maybe you can use this to help keep him in his bed? "You don't want to sleep in our bed, remember when you fell off and had to get stitches. We certainly don't want that to happen again." LOL...I am always trying to use whatever I can to convince them =)
Glad to hear Children's ER worked out so well. I am still kicking myself that I took Mally to Waukesha for her stitches. For some reason I thought it would be less busy....which I am sure it wasn't and the rooms were NOT kid friendly.

Trisha said...

Rhi, you'd think that would have taught him a lesson, but nope. Last night he was in our bed by 11:30....

He recently told me that he'd sleep in his bed all night when he's four. (The magic number for chewing gum as well!)

Anonymous said...

I love the magic number stuff... you have no idea what the boys will be able to do when they turn 5 (according to them)...including roller skating and ice skating (I am already scared). Though just recently Jason has let them chew gum so 4 must be the magic age for that (they actually do better than I thought they would....I thought for sure I would have had to pick it out of the carpet by now).