Sunday, August 23, 2009

Opposite Day

Since our vacation wasn't one we'll record as being one of our greatest, I decided to write an "opposite day" post about things that didn't (but really did) happen....

Caleb did not start asking if we were at the "wake yet" before we even turned off of the street we live on, he's way better in the car than that!

I did not tell Caleb approximately every 20 minutes that "Yes, we are almost there" for the 9.5 HOURS it took us to get to the lake.

Caleb did not only nap 15 minutes and only Isaac 20 minutes of that entire 9.5 hour trip!

The boys did not BOTH scream/cry for the last HOUR STRAIGHT and I did not contemplate pulling over and crying with them.

I did not allow Isaac to get into the habit of drinking a bottle before naps and bedtime because we all slept in the same bed and I didn't know how to explain why Caleb could have one and he couldn't. I am not kicking myself now because he still wants a darn bottle before bed.


Isaac was not crabby almost the entire time we were there and did not have his pacie in his mouth and carry around his blanket 99.9% of the time. He did not scream every time I was out of his sight and my family did not try their best to distract him so I could at least take a shower every day!

I am sure part of his crabbiness wasn't because of the 2 molars I discovered that were half way through his poor little gums on our last day there. I am much more in tune to why my kids are cranky and not themselves!

I did not have to change Isaac's outfit/diaper several times a day because he managed to get soaked by either the pool, Slip N Slide, hose, or rain.

I did not allow Isaac to live off of juice boxes (aka straight juice) while we were there because he refused to eat real food. I always dilute his juice and he's only allowed one glass of juice a day.

The above mentioned juice boxes did not give Isaac terrible diarrhea the last 2 days we were there, causing him to burn through a box of 72 diapers (well in addition to constantly getting himself wet from playing in some sort of water). And my mom didn't have to run out and get more because he used every single one I had!

Caleb did not talk about the jet-ski's the entire ride up to the lake and then did not chicken out and refuse to ride one.

The boys did not love driving Papa's new Mini pickup truck.


I did not allow Isaac to have a Ring Pop (sucker) because all of his cousins (and big brother) were eating them. He did not choose his favorite color, "boo" and it did not stain his face and hands blue.



We did not take boat rides every day and Caleb did not ask a million "why" questions while we were out on the lake (and everyone was trying to relax).


Caleb did not eat THREE entire chicken nuggets from McDonald's, with his Uncle Tristan, at 9:30 one night (He's really never eaten an entire one for me!) and he didn't eat EIGHT Little Smokey sausages for breakfast one morning either!

Caleb did not get to see an airplane take off from the lake and he is not still talking about it.


This picture is not hilarious and does not prove that Isaac was a huge crab when everyone else was having fun.


We did not make a pit stop on the way home and spend the night in St Paul with our cousins. Caleb did not have a great time with Max and Keigan. (And Isaac didn't continue to be a huge crankster when I was out of his sight).



I did not have to make the trip back solo with the boys and was not nervous out of my mind when we stopped for our "breaks." And I didn't take one of those breaks at a mall for some much needed "retail therapy." I did not allow Isaac to crawl around on the floor in a store while I shopped. And I did not spend way too much money on new clothes for the boys.

And I did not take over 150 pictures while we were at the lake. The scenery wasn't beautiful and the boys weren't adorable doing all sorts of un-fun things.

Seriously though, it was great to see my family and the boys, for the most part, did have a ton fun, especially Caleb. He actually forgot he had a dad for most of our vacation and never wanted to talk to him on the phone. (He did really start missing Joel on our last day there though). Isaac on the other hand, talked to Joel every night. Sooo stinkin cute! He can almost carry on a real conversation now.

Joel is still working non-stop and when I ask Isaac where daddy is, he replies "work."

No comments: