He really feels that this is reactive airway disease/asthma and or allergies. I am not yet buying the asthma idea yet since the cough is no worse with activity and his inhaler hasn't really helped it at all. And he's had no issues with allergies ever before, but we'll see I guess. He's definitely at risk for it from being premature. For that reason, we started yet another medication yesterday. If you're keeping track, he's now on one antibiotic once a day, one antibiotic twice a day, an antifungal once a day, his inhaler every 4 hours, a sleeping pill and now Singular. He's a walking pharmacy! Thankfully he hasn't shown any adverse side effects from them, including diarrhea.
His ped said that if it is asthma/allergies, we should see a huge difference in his cough almost immediately after starting Singular. So far it hasn't changed and it seems like he's coughing more today (but he's only had once dose.) He gave us a green light to go up to the lake this weekend for our much needed vacation. Hopefully one of these meds kicks in and we can be done with this darn cough!!
I am way behind on blogging, but should be packing right now. But here's a sneak peek from last Saturday:
2 comments:
Here's a stab in the dark: reflux. Hallie always coughs more (incessantly, really. Lots of coughing, throat clearing, gurgliness, junkiness) when she has a flare up. Meds like antibiotics, inhalers, etc etc don't help at all. Another thing that accompanies the coughing is decreased appetite and greater reluctance to eat. I know it's hard to tell with our already-stellar-eaters but has anything changed for Caleb on this front?
Anyway, I hope you figure out what ails Caleb and soon! Please tell him to feel better!
Hi Abby! That as another thing that was brought up that I forgot to mention. He used to have severe reflux that even showed up on his swallow studies. However, his immunologist took him off his Prevacid last year because he couldn't be on it with his antifungal, which they felt was more important. And reflux hasn't seemed to bother him since then. And ironically, he's eating like a champ these days. But, I have noticed the past few days that he does cough more after eating. So is it reflux? Could be. Or is he aspirating? Or is it due to the fact that he's now super congested (but he had the same cough prior to this "cold")? The list could go on and on. Just like the stupid cough....
Post a Comment