Monday, August 23, 2010

Wirth Park!

When I was growing up, every town had their own outdoor pool. I remember my friends and I would ride our bikes to the bank to see what the temperature was on their big sign. If it was 70 degrees or above, we continued on to the swimming pool and stayed all day. Can't do that around here. If you want to take your kids swimming and not drive at least 30 minutes, you have to either take them to the Y/athletic club or a local high school. What fun is swimming inside during the summer?! That is one of the reasons we got the 3 foot deep pool for our yard...it's just been too hot not to have an accessible pool!

My friends had been telling me about Wirth Park for a while, but since it's not close to our house, we never tried it out. Man I wish we would have sooner! They have a zero-depth pool that is only open for kids under 6 years old. It's nothing too fancy...it has a little slide, water shooters, etc, but it also has a little playground with a rubber bottom (and a sand box which of course we avoided). But it's perfect for the boys. I think the at the deepest point it's only 2 feet, so it was great. The boys were a bit too brave and I still had to stay very close to pull out whoever tripped and was under water, but in general it seemed pretty safe. I liked the fact that there were not "big" kids running around.

There was always a line for the slide, and Isaac would just budge his way to the front of the line every single time, leaving the other kids with looks on their faces like "What the heck is this kid doing?!" I told the lifeguard who was sitting there to make him wait his turn, but he thought it was funny...



But out of all of this fun, what do you think Isaac's favorite part was? Spitting water onto the hot concrete. I think he liked that he could see where he spit it...

No comments: