Friday, January 6, 2012

Sweet Isaac


Isaac has been through almost as much as Caleb these past 6 months. His life was turned completely upside down. He was a 100% mama's boy, whose mama "left" him. He never shares his feelings, and I can only imagine what's been going on inside his sweet little head. Sometimes we forget that he's only three years old. He's always been so mature for his age. He's not one to want a lot of attention placed on him. He hates the word "hero."

He's had a very hard time adjusting to us being back home. I think all his emotions are finally catching up with him. He has been throwing a lot of tantrums and gets upset very easily. (Although it's a million times better already..still have a long way to go...) I know he feels left out when Caleb has to take his medications and go to doctor appointments. He hates it when I tell him that Grammie (who he loves) is coming over to watch him. I think he's afraid we are leaving him for a long time again. He's still hesitant with me at times, but he's starting to let his guard down and trust me again. (He lets me put him to bed now!!!)

He went back to school this week, which will be so good for him. That's something that has always been consistent through all of this and he really loves it there. I also let him come with to Caleb's BMT appointment yesterday, which made him SO happy. (It's sad that he was excited to go to the hospital, like it was a field trip.) He was so good there, so I am planning on taking him along every time, as long as he's healthy. (One of the nice things about this clinic is that we go back to a private room right away and don't have to sit in a waiting room.) I think Caleb liked having him along too. They both got a little stir crazy when it was almost time to go (we had been there 2 hours by then) so they were playing Marquette basketball by rolling up paper towels and shooting them into the trash.

I have always feared what all of this would do to Isaac. I pray that he's young enough that he will get through it unscathed. He is such a sweet little man and is such a blessing to our family. And even though he doesn't want to be called a hero now, I hope someday that he will be able to see the magnitude of what he did for his best friend.

1 comment:

Cora said...

Someday he will. What an amazing gift to be able to give your brother. I bet they will be super close, even as adults.