Friday, February 20, 2009

Cake, Take 2 and Croup Update

I tried to give Isaac his cake again on Tuesday, which was his birthday. Do you think he's trying to tell me he really DOESN'T LIKE CAKE??!!


Croup Update:
For those of you who don't know, Isaac woke up on Wednesday night with the "classic croup" cough. It was terrible, but I was able to get him back to sleep. When he woke up, he seemed okay but was very clingy and every time he got upset, he'd have that barking cough and strider with his breathing. I called the clinic while he was napping (knowing there wasn't much they'd probably do anyway) and spoke with a nurse I have never met. I told her I thought it was weird that he didn't have any other symptoms except for the cough and strider at times (Croup normally is caused by a cold first and he doesn't have a runny nose, fever, etc) and she said "Well consider yourself lucky that you don't have to deal with all of that too!" She told me not to worry and that he'd be fine. She was a complete idiot. I should also mention that she told me to give him herbal tea and chicken broth. (This was after I had told her his birth date AND his age). Anyway, I whipped up some herbal tea and gave it to him in his bottle....JUST KIDDING. Can you imagine?!

So he woke up and was still clingy and every little thing "set him off," but he ate his lunch fine, so I still wasn't too alarmed. He went down for his afternoon nap okay and was able to lay flat without too much coughing. When he woke up, however, his breathing was noticeably louder, even when he was just sitting down. So I called again, praying that I wouldn't get the same nurse. Luckily one of our favorite nurses answered and she could hear him breathing and told me to bring him right in. By the time we got there, he was back to "barking" as well. His ped told me he was glad that I had called because I would have been in the ER with him if I would have waited a bit longer (the office would have been closed). That made me feel terrible...what if I would have continued to think he was "fine?" They gave him a high dose of steroids, told me what "criteria" would mean a trip to the ER, and sent us home.

He slept pretty good last night and is a million times better this AM. He's still coughing from time to time, but it is nothing like it was yesterday. Thank God! He got up at 4:00 AM, but is now napping and I haven't heard him cough at all. To top it all off, he's still trying to get all of those teeth in. Two of them finally broke through yesterday to add to his misery. I have a feeling it's going to be a long day!

Tomorrow we have a big birthday party planned for "the babies" (the three of them who were born within a week of each other). I am hoping that Isaac's illness leaves as quickly as it came so he can go!

No comments: