Thursday, April 29, 2010

Baseball fever

The summer rec book came in the mail recently and Caleb was pumped to hear that he can play T-ball this year. (We didn't tell him about it until it was cleared by his west coast doc). I don't know who's more excited, Joel or Caleb. Last weekend we went to a sports store and got him his first metal bat and some "hard" balls. I was a bit leery about the whole metal bat idea. I just assumed that they'd play with foam/plastic bats since it's for 4-5 year olds. Like I've mentioned before, he has no concept of body space/looking out before swinging. He almost knocked Isaac's teeth out with the vacuum attachment, what would happen with a metal bat? (But to be honest, I didn't think he'd even be able to swing a bat like that because it weighs almost as much as he does! Plus the balls are much heavier than the foam ones he's used to.) But take a look for yourself. I took a bunch of little videos and put them together. I took the sound out because it was so windy that day. But I didn't edit out any "strikes"...he pretty much hits it every time, which still baffles my mind. This is ALL he wants to do now. I think I have already pitched him 2,954,625 balls. He is very good about watching out for Isaac before swinging. Plus, Isaac likes to be the out fielder and runs after the balls, which is also so stinkin' adorable.

And on a side note, I have no idea how he can be so good with hand-eye coordination when his coordination in general is terrible. He has 3 new gashes on his head at the moment. One from tripping and falling while walking on the sidewalk at the library (which resulted in a huge dent in his forehead. The library ladies were convinced that he needed to go to the ER), one from running and falling on Grammie's driveway, and one from falling off a chair at preschool. I told Joel he needs to work with Caleb on running around the bases. His reply was "He'll be hitting home runs every time and won't need to worry about running fast!!" HA!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really is amazing how well he can hit the ball!! I am very impressed!! I am so excited to hear he can play!!!!

Cora said...

Wow...he's really great! I'm so glad that he was cleared to play. It obviously is making him so happy.