November is Prematurity Awareness Month. Each day, one of eight babies born in the US is born prematurely. Nearly half of them are from unknown causes, like ours.
We did everything “right” before having a baby and never imagined that he’d be premature. We graduated from college, got good jobs, bought a house, got a puppy, and then got pregnant. I did not fit the stereotype of a woman that has a premature baby (poor, single, smokes or does drugs), but was an athletic 26 year old. It can happen to anyone. Prematurity put stress on our marriage and sometimes even caused us to question God. In the end, it has made both of these things stronger but I can think of a million better ways to do that!
I would love it if I could take Caleb to play dates and birthday parties this winter, stop taking him to get those painful RSV shots, buy him a Happy Meal (and he’d eat it), help him grow faster, clear up his lungs and slow down his breathing. But I can’t. During this pregnancy, I would love it if I could travel, go to the gym, not worry about how much I am lifting, work more, not have every little pain/contraction I have send me into panic mode, stop fighting my insurance company to cover EVERY SINGLE ultra sound and doctor visit, and just enjoy being pregnant. But I can’t. We have an ugly, dark cloud called prematurity looming over our heads. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.
Yes, we are among the “lucky” ones as there are many people who have lost their baby/babies or have a child who has severe disabilities as a result of their premature birth. Trust me, I thank God every day for Caleb and the amazing things he’s able to do. But prematurity still sucks.
Please support the March of Dimes so that research can continue and less babies will be born premature.
Thanks to my friend Sarah for reminding me about this important month!
We did everything “right” before having a baby and never imagined that he’d be premature. We graduated from college, got good jobs, bought a house, got a puppy, and then got pregnant. I did not fit the stereotype of a woman that has a premature baby (poor, single, smokes or does drugs), but was an athletic 26 year old. It can happen to anyone. Prematurity put stress on our marriage and sometimes even caused us to question God. In the end, it has made both of these things stronger but I can think of a million better ways to do that!
I would love it if I could take Caleb to play dates and birthday parties this winter, stop taking him to get those painful RSV shots, buy him a Happy Meal (and he’d eat it), help him grow faster, clear up his lungs and slow down his breathing. But I can’t. During this pregnancy, I would love it if I could travel, go to the gym, not worry about how much I am lifting, work more, not have every little pain/contraction I have send me into panic mode, stop fighting my insurance company to cover EVERY SINGLE ultra sound and doctor visit, and just enjoy being pregnant. But I can’t. We have an ugly, dark cloud called prematurity looming over our heads. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.
Yes, we are among the “lucky” ones as there are many people who have lost their baby/babies or have a child who has severe disabilities as a result of their premature birth. Trust me, I thank God every day for Caleb and the amazing things he’s able to do. But prematurity still sucks.
Please support the March of Dimes so that research can continue and less babies will be born premature.
Thanks to my friend Sarah for reminding me about this important month!

1 comment:
He was beautiful, even when he was just a wee little man!
PS: I tagged you for a meme on my blog.
Post a Comment