Saturday, September 5, 2009

4,617,9298...

That's approximately how many questions Caleb asked me today. I remember last year, some of my friends (whose kids are 6-12 months-ish older than C) were talking about their kids asking "Why" all the time and constantly asking questions. Caleb was barely talking back then and I longed for him to ask questions. Well, I now I got my wish:) I don't know how many times he asks "Why" during the day. Way to many times to count. Sometimes he spices it up and says "Why, momma, why?" in the whinest voice possible. He also loves to ask "What" things are.

Unless Caleb is sleeping, he's talking. And it's usually not just talking, it's either whining about something or asking questions (or doing both at the same time). Now don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that he's able to ask questions. Every single time I start to get frustrated and want to tell him to shut up be quiet, I think back to the time when we didn't know if he'd ever talk, or think about some kids I know who still aren't talking. I know how blessed we are that he IS talking. (And doing all the amazing things he's doing these days. I've been reminded again this week once how close we were to losing him. For some reason, Joel has been reliving the 4 separate times he witnessed the NICU staff doing chest compressions on Caleb the day he was born.) Believe me, I am so grateful that he's here and able to annoy me!

Anyway, since the boys and I are flying solo this weekend, I took them to a "new" park that is located on a bluff right above Lake Michigan. It was absolutely beautiful up there. It took about an hour to get there, and Caleb asked questions about every.single.thing he saw out his window. And in between those questions, he asked "We almost dare Mommy?" And I think he asked me 150 times what "woad" (road) we were on.

We had a blast playing at the playground. The Possibility Playground is very similar to the Imagination Station playground in that it's safe for all ages and abilities. Caleb was very brave this time and did all sorts of climbing (with my help, of course) and independent play, venturing away from my side once in a while (which is amazing). Isaac was his typical little self, running around like a crazy man and yelling, "IZ? Are you?" (He wanted me to ask him where he was!)

I had packed a picnic lunch and we found a spot over looking the lake (Ocean as Caleb called it) and watched the sailboats and airplanes. And listened to Caleb ask questions..."What kind of boat?" "Who dwybing (driving) dat boat?" "Why day in da water?" "What kind of water is dat?" "We go down dare?" "Why we not go down dare?" "Why dat wady (lady) sitting dare?" "Where's Daddy?" "Why dat plane wed (red)?" I could go on and on.....

Port Washington had a Farmer's Market today that we saw on our way to the playground and Caleb wanted to stop and get "some fwuit." I told him we could stop on our way home, and he was quick to remind me about it when we were leaving. So I got to answer all kinds of questions about the farmers and what they were selling and what kind of tractors they drove:) He ended up picking out a watermelon and a cantaloupe. (By the way, has anyone ever heard of yellow watermelon? That's what the sign called them. Caleb is thrilled that he found John Deere watermelon! The outside is green like "normal" watermelon, but the inside is yellow and tastes like the red kind. Weird.)

We had such a great day and as tired as they were when we left, I was able to keep them both awake on the ride home! BONUS!! They crashed when we got home and I had 3 hours of quiet!

3 comments:

Cora said...

Oh yeah, I get the why everything too. Amelia also loves to ask, "Where____ come from?" over and over, and over.

I too just try to remind myself how glad that I am that she's talking.

Anonymous said...

Love this post, just cracked me up!! I think it is funny Caleb will ask what road you are on. The boys would always ask "Where are we?" meaning which city. When I would tell them it would only take about 5 seconds before they would ask again.
Make sure that when you answer all these questions that Isaac takes notes =)

Trisha said...

Cora-I totally forgot about the "Where___come from" questions when I wrote the post! He asks that almost as much as "why" Today at lunch he asked me where hot dogs came from and I told him pigs. Then he asked what kind of pigs they came from, and then where do pigs come from and then onto where the strawberries came from....

Rhi-Since Isaac is a parrot, any time Caleb asks "Why" Isaac says "Why, why, why, why...." I think I have pin-pointed the source of my daily late afternoon headaches!