We've been working with Caleb (and Isaac) on picking up their toys when they are done with them. Isaac is pretty good at helping, although he always finds something else to get out while he's cleaning up. Caleb seems to have no concept about what it means to clean up. We have to tell him item, by item, what to pick up and where to put it. Their bins of toys were taken away days ago because Caleb was warned if he didn't pick up, they'd be gone. He couldn't care less. (It doesn't help that he has 10X more toys that weren't in the bins...) Every night is a struggle to get the play room/living room even partially picked up.
This AM, I told Caleb that if he didn't pick up the toys, we were not going outside today. He looked at me and said, "Oooooh! Bummer!" Nice, huh?!
I think we've just let him get away with it for so long and now he thinks it's a joke and we'll eventually do it (which we do!) Any suggestions? We've tried making it a game/competition. We've obviously tried taking toys away. We've tried consequences (no playing outside, no going to the store, etc). We've tried showing him (them) how to pick up. We're pretty much at a loss at what to do.....bummer!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Have you ever seen the Little Bill episode where he picks up his room with the "zuppity zoo" game? Since Caleb enjoys talking so much maybe this one would be good for him? Ayden really likes doing it. I know they do songs at daycare "clean up clean up everyone everywhere, clean up clean up everyone does their share" or sometimes we'll sing the teamwork song from wonderpets not sure why but that seems to help sometimes. I feel like it has taken years but the boys are finally getting better at it (after a decent amount of reminders). Most of the time I have them clean up before they do something else like you can't go outside until it's cleaned up or you have to clean up before you play with little legos....that seems to work well if they really want to do that something else. I do feel like it is a constant battle though.
Post a Comment