Sunday, October 28, 2007

"He shouldn't have made it, you know"

We always knew that Caleb is a miracle and that he almost didn't survive his first week, but I never really knew how close he was to dying on the day he was born. At work on Friday, I ran into one of the respiratory therapists that took care of Caleb when he was in the NICU. He asked how C was and was thrilled when I told him how well he is doing. He then told me that he's been wanting to tell me something for a long time, but wanted to wait until he knew that Caleb was doing well. "He shouldn't have made it you know. I am not really sure how he did. We tried the regular ventilator, then the high frequency ventilator, and back to the regular ventilator and nothing was keeping his oxygen levels up," he said. He then told me that he "bagged" him, meaning gave him breaths (like CPR but through his ventilator tube) for about 30 minutes since that was the only thing that kept his oxygen saturation's in the semi-normal range. This guy pretty much kept Caleb alive as the nurses and doctors decided what to do. I cannot get this out of my head. I knew that Caleb struggled to breathe after he was born, that the medicine they gave him to help his lungs didn't work, that they put him on a ventilator that gave him over 300 breaths a minute, and as a "last ditch effort" they gave pumped nitric oxide into him to help his lungs. I also knew that and that he had a very hard time keeping his blood pressure up despite all of the medications that they were giving him. But, I never knew that he was bagged for that long. On one hand I am glad that he told me, but now I just can't stop thinking about it. It's pretty much standard on the floor that I work on that after 30-45 minutes of doing CPR on a person, if nothing is working, we pronounce the person dead. What if that would have been the case with Caleb? I am so grateful for Aaron and his steady hand that gave Caleb his breaths for so long. I am so grateful for the doctors and nurses who didn't give up on Caleb when nothing was working. And I thank God for giving these people the wisdom to get Caleb through that critical day/week (and our 3 month stay), for giving Caleb the strength and will to survive, and also that he doesn't have any lasting effects from the lack of oxygen he had the day he was born. I know I say it often, we are truly blessed. Now if I could just get our little miracle to sleep in his own bed......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What a true miracle indeed, I know we have been saying that for some time now....but after hearing this last detail, wow!! I remember seeing Caleb the day he was born and I just couldn't believe the sight. That the machine giving him oxygen made his whole tiny little body just shake. How fragile he looked, I don't think I will ever forget that night! I remember asking Joel if there was anything we could do to help and his response was, "just pray!" Well we did, as I know many others did and I praise God our prayers were answered in such an amazing way! Now almost 2 years later to see Caleb run around with such energy and enthusiasm is a true miracle from God!

Sarah Furlough said...

See, further proof as to what a miracle Caleb is! I think it puts things in perspective to hear how close you were to not seeing him grow up.

How blessed you are that there were such amazing people to care for him, and that he was such a fighter so early on!

So, go hug your little man. Thank him for fighting so hard so that you could have the pleasure of watching him grow.

Give him a squeeze from his friends in Virginia!

Cora said...

It's amazing the things that we find out so long after the fact, isn't it? Do remember that bagging like that in the NICU isn't like an adult code. When bagging by hand you can "feel" the lung compliancy better, and so many kids do amazingly better with it. I'm so glad that they found a method that Caleb liked! I'm sure that the RT had a sore hand after 45 minutes!