Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jump around...

If you are a physical therapist or preemie mom who has been told that Jumperoo's are horrible for your child, you may not want to watch this video. I'll admit that I was "one of those parents" who said that jumperoo's and exersaucer's wouldn't be allowed in our house because they could cause "serious injury to the baby's hips and legs." As a parent of a premature baby, that was drilled into my head by several people. I was actually scared to have one in our house for fear Caleb's therapists would think that I was abusing him by putting him into it! But, as you can see I have relaxed a bit with my over protectiveness and Isaac is loving it. After getting our pediatrician's blessing, we got a jumperoo for him. He has such a great time in it. I cannot believe that he actually knows how to jump! We limit his time in it to 10 minutes a day, but he's a crazy man for those 5-10 minutes! Now I have to get out Caleb's old exersaucer that's been hiding in the basement....
Coincidentally, Caleb also learned to jump recently. I am not sure if he learned to do it from watching other kids in his gymnastics class or if he's just starting to catch up with his gross motor stuff, but it's great to see him reach another milestone (even if he only really gets about a centimeter off the ground)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the video!! Love seeing your two little boys thrive!!

abby said...

I actually considered retrieving Hallie's jumperoo (yeah, we're bad parents and all!) from the basement so that she could learn to jump in it. She never used to use it for jumping...she'd kind of play in it a bit each day and it was great for confining her when I needed to answer the door, switch laundry to the dryer, etc. Her pack and play never worked well for this because we used it (still use it!) to store things that we don't want her to get into.

Anyway, it's great to hear that Caleb has learned to jump because Hallie wants to jump so badly. She screeches "JUMP" or "HOP" and makes the correct knee motions but she hasn't figured out lift-off yet. And I've been forbidden from investing in a baby trampoline, so we're just going to have to wait until she gets it on her own; maybe you guys need to post a video of Caleb jumping so that I can use that for inspiration?

Trisha said...

Abby- If you watch the whole video of Isaac in the Jumperoo, Caleb shows off his jumping skills at the end. I can try to con him into jumping for the camera again, but he always wants to be the one holding the camera these days. But, if we can help Hallie along with her jumping skills, we'll definitely work on getting some more footage!