As most of you know, feeding Caleb was a nightmare from the beginning. When he was 6 months old, he started to refuse his bottles and when we tried to start solids with him, it was even worse. He used to vomit when he saw a spoon, even if there was no food in sight. Every single "meal" consisted of him refusing, gagging and vomiting. We've been taking him to the feeding clinic for almost 2 years now. We've (and he's) worked really hard to get him to enjoy eating, and he's come a LONG way! He only eats a few different things, (scrambled eggs, cheese, and noodles) but it's a start! And he's getting better at trying new things, even if it's just a tiny bite. Some days are still a huge struggle to get him to eat anything, but those days seem to happen less and less. In fact, I gave him canned peas the other day, which is something he'd normally either spit right back out, or try and chew them and end up gagging and vomiting. He ate about 20 peas without any trouble. He even chewed them! When he was done, he told me he was going to drink the juice (pea juice left in the bowl...sounds delicious, huh?). From previous experience, I told him not to drink it because he wouldn't like it and it might make him throw up. He decided to drink it anyway and when he was done he said to me in the sassiest voice possible, "Haybee wike it momma." (like it)

Because of all of this, I have been very nervous to start Isaac on solids. I was afraid it would be like it was with Caleb. But, Isaac has been showing a lot of interest in us eating, so I decided to start giving him rice cereal this week. After one bite, it was like he'd been eating from a spoon his whole life! He LOVED it! He was leaning forward and opening his mouth before I had another bite ready for him. He was like a little bird! I was crying. I have cried several times when feeding Caleb too, but this time it was happy tears. I cannot believe that it can be so simple to feed a baby. He was sucking on his fingers, trying to find more! And this was only plain rice cereal! I cannot wait until we can give him the good stuff! God is good!

2 comments:
What a huge blessing Trisha!! I just love reading how good both of your boys are doing!! It makes my day!!
You know how wonderful I think this is...and the fact that everything is easier with Isaac. But I agree with you--he's growing up so fast, and reading about this on your blog makes me realize precisely what it is that we missed out on with our micropreemies. I've heard other parents express how sad it was that their babies were no longer babies, and like you, we never felt that way with Hallie. We were just too anxious for her to get to and meet the next milestone and start doing things (especially since the doctors warned us that there was a pretty good chance that she wouldn't do any of these things) that we missed out on her babyhood altogether (even though it was longer than most baby's babyhood).
The food stuff, though: man, it sucks. I can't wait to get rid of the jars of babyfood with Hallie, and suspect that the next one we have might just be done with them (and the bottle) far sooner than his or her big sister.
Post a Comment