Anyway, after going through C's history and the history of his never ending cough, I felt like I should have had Isaac there as the patient instead of Caleb. Everything he was asking me was pretty much "no" for Caleb and "yes" for Isaac (watery eyes, especially outside..check!, dark circles under eyes...check!, eczema...check!, wheezing...sometimes!, hives..check!, etc.) Sometimes I think I overlook things with IZ because he's my "healthy" one. Maybe I'll have to bring him back for an appt!
After all the questioning, he wanted Caleb to do pulmonary function tests, even though I told him that he just had them done in May. After comparing them (with the 4 others he's done in the past) it was determined that they were all pretty much the same (no kidding!!). So then the doctor suggested that they give him a large dose of albuterol and then redo the test. Of course the test came back better and they were thrilled. They "found" the reason for his coughing....asthma. That really annoyed me that that was their conclusion because we did albuterol treatments twice a day for 2 weeks and then every 4 hours for 1 week, plus did the steroid inhalers for 2 weeks and those things did NOTHING for his cough. In my
When I brought up the fact that we already did all of those inhalers for a month, he kept going back to the "facts" and that C improved 86% after the albuterol. In my other
And since he's an allergist he wanted to do allergy testing...which I also thought was ridiculous. C's never had an issue with allergies before and he admitted that if C did have allergies, we weren't going to treat them unless they were "out of this world." So they put C through yet another test and this one made him crazy. For a kid with sensory issues, having stuff jammed into his back that made him itch like crazy was about enough to put him over the edge. He was in pure misery for 30 minutes, tears in his eyes trying not to cry. It broke my heart. And to make it worse for him, Isaac kept saying "I can scratch my back Cay-yub, see? I can scratch my back and you can't do it." Stinker!
In the end, it was found that he has pretty bad allergies to some trees, grass, and mold/fungus. And this is likely due to the fact that we purposely try to keep him away from these things (as much as possible) because of his immune deficiency (fresh cut grass, grass clippings, leaves, and of course all types of mold/fungus). Apparently with "typical" children, the more they are exposed to these things, they become more tolerant to them and less allergic. And since he's not really exposed to them much, he's highly allergic?? I don't know. But what are we doing with this info anyway?? NOTHING.
After sitting in a little room with two very energetic boys for 2.5 hours (and not being able to allow them to eat in there due to some kids' severe allergies to food), we are no closer to finding out the cause of C's cough. ANNOYING!!
1 comment:
Oh that is annoying! And I'd argue, your opinion is NOT uneducated. You're a nurse, and most importantly, you're his Mama. You know best most of all.
I'm sorry he's having to go through all of these tests. The allergy testing is really rough, I've had it done to me a ton.
Post a Comment