Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Poor baby!!

After another night of Isaac screaming for 3.5 hours (2-5:30AM), I took him back to the pediatrician this AM. Today was day 6/10 on his new antibiotic. Well, he now has a double ear infection! His original ear has not gotten any better and now the other one is infected as well! The news made me feel incredibly guilty since he's probably been in terrible pain the past 6 days! When will this poor baby catch a break?

So now he's on a different antibiotic and hopefully this will make him feel better. Of course he still also has a terrible cough, and his doc gave me samples of Singular (an asthma med) to try for a week. I gave him a dose of it before bed, but now I have read about it online (which I know isn't the best thing to do) and I don't think I want him on it! Some of the side effects that kids have are frightening! (If anyone has experience with it, please let me know!) I was thinking that maybe we should try one new thing at a time anyway. I do think that the inhaler has helped his night time coughing, so maybe he just needs more time to get rid of it completely. His doc said that he's hoping that his lungs are still recovering from whatever caused the croup (which he did say could be RSV....). But, he also still thinks it's possible he has asthma. The good news was that he didn't hear as much wheezing this time.

So, if you have time for a couple prayers, please pray that Isaac is better by Friday. If he isn't I have to take him back for "more testing." And please pray for me to have patience. I hate that he's been sick on and off for over 3 months now and my educational background doesn't help me and my wondering mind. I am trying to tell myself that he *just* has had a rough time with the cold/flu season, but part of me keeps thinking it's something worse. I just pray that he's better by Friday and is back to his happy little self again.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Hey Trisha,
I don't know how young my brothers were when they started Singular, but almost everyone on my family has been on it at some point in time. Charlie had a really rough time when he was Isaac's age with all the same stuff (minus the ear infections). I think that they but him on singular then. None of us ever had any negative affects, although my mom and I were on it for allergies, not asthma. Give the boys a hug from me and see you in May!

Anonymous said...

I hope Isaac is feeling better. I know two of my teaching partners had to go with the tubes for ear infections for their toddlers and had GREAT success. Also, have you tried probiotics? They are supposed to help with the immune system. I give them to Caitlin. I think Rhi might give them to Mallory as well. Granted Caitlin still gets sick but she seems to fight through everything pretty well. As for Singular, my only experience (with a student on the medicine) is a negative one. I would NOT recommend it. Call me and I can share why. Anyhow, I hope things are getting better. . .