I've been slacking with the blog again. I am a bit sleep deprived, but I wanted to get this done before I get too far behind! We've had another busy week! After nearly 2 weeks of thinking sleeping was for the birds, Caleb slept through the night last night. He didn't wake up one time and when I woke up at 6AM, he still wasn't up. Of course I panicked that he was dead because he NEVER sleeps that long. Of course he's fine. We are still brushing him, but I have thought about quitting several times this week. I am starting to think it's making him oversensitive to everything. We have another OT appt this week, so it will be interesting to see what she says....
Joel was gone for the weekend, so it was nice to have my parents here for back up. The boys love it when they come since we don't get to seem them too much. Although we have seen them a lot this fall!
Both boys are getting teeth, which probably doesn't help in the sleep department. Isaac is getting 3 teeth and Caleb is FINALLY getting his 3rd 2 year molar.
I bet Caleb is kicking himself for not sharing with Isaac in the past when Isaac was so willing to share with him. Now, Isaac's favorite word is "MINE!" and does not want to share with Caleb at all! Everything is "Mine!" according to Isaac. When I ask him who "mine" is, he replies "IZ" or "I-gick" and points to himself.
Keep going to see some pics from our week....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow busy week is right!! You know you and your family are always in our prayers!! Love you guys!!
Here's my question: does Caleb ever try to self-regulate by seeking out sensory input? What I mean is possibly best illustrated by example. When Hallie is having what I think of as a 'sensory moment,' she'll seek out intense swinging (if we are home, she will ask me to swing her in these sack race bags), jumping (converting our chair to a trampoline), or smushing herself between seat cushions, under piles of plush stuffed animals, etc. I used to try to interfere in this and not let her do it so much, but lately I've come to realize that she NEEDS this sensory input and is seeking it out herself in an effort to self-regulate. And the vast majority of the time, it works. She needs whatever vestibular, proprioceptive, etc input these experiences provide and her attention, ability to communicate, behavior generally (including eating) is much improved when she gets what she needs. Generalizing from Hallie, it seems that her little body knows what it needs and so, taking my cues from her, we've begun to try to provide her with opportunities so she can regulate her sensory dysfunction on her own. I talked to her old OT (soon to be her OT again. YAY!) on the phone about this yesterday and she said that my instincts about this were pretty good. And this definitely works with our child-directed therapy model.
I wonder if you can isolate the kind of sensory experiences/input that best works for Caleb and then provide him with the opportunity to help him meet these needs. It might be that brushing is too much for Caleb (hence the oversensitivity to every sensory input he experiences after brushing) and that some other form of sensory regulation might work better. Then, the task is, I guess, constructing a sensory diet around those sorts of things so that he has a regular schedule of these inputs. Hopefully that will improve things across the board.
Sorry about the hugely long comment!
Abby
Post a Comment