Thursday, October 15, 2009

Overload

There is a lot going on with Caleb right now. Don't worry, he's physically healthy at the moment, but we are overloaded with information from our recent appointments. I am not sure how much we will share at this time, but please keep us in your prayers as we make some difficult decisions in the next few months.

One of our appointments was with his occupational therapist. Caleb's test results didn't really surprise me. He has been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder/sensory modulation dysfunction. He's also very delayed in some areas of development. To try and help him with all of his sensory issues, meltdowns, anxiety, and distractability, we started a brushing protocol. It sounds crazy, but we use a special brush and "massage" him (called brushing) every 2 hours while he's awake. When we first started, it was a nightmare. He yelled, screamed, kicked and tried to escape and also had an increase in his meltdowns. After 3 days of this, I contacted his OT and she said it was a good thing he was acting like that because it meant that the technique was "working." Now, unless he's tired, he likes to be brushed. I have even caught him brushing himself a few times. I cannot say that we have seen much of a change in his behavior though. Maybe it's too soon to see...

We have, however, seen a huge change in his sleeping. For about 2 weeks before we started brushing him, he was sleeping through the night (7-8 hours) in his own bed. It was amazing. But, since we started this new therapy last week, he's not sleeping at all. He won't nap, it takes forever for him to fall asleep at night, even though he's clearly exhausted, and he's up every hour a night again. And today, he was up at 2AM for the day. (And then still wouldn't take a nap.) It's like his brain is constantly going.

I spoke with his therapist and she was very concerned. She doesn't want us to quit brushing him yet, but gave me some things to try tonight. It still took an hour for him to fall asleep, but I am praying that he'll have a restful night. Otherwise we're really going to have to reconsider brushing him, even though his OT really feels that this type of therapy will be good for him.

I think the plan is to work on his sensory issues first and then tackle the areas in which he is delayed. We are already working hard at getting his hands stronger, although everything we are supposed to do, he hates (feeding himself, playing with play-doh, crawling around on the ground, holding a pencil correctly, etc.)

I asked his teachers how he's doing this week, and one of them said, "Yes, we do have to redirect him frequently, he worries a lot, and he doesn't participate much. But once in a while we see that big smile and he answers a question. We know he's in there!" Hopefully this new therapy will help "that" Caleb to come out more often.....

2 comments:

Cora said...

Yikes on the sleeping front. Does he do any better sleeping better with you guys? What about meds?

I'm sorry too that you're going through more preemie related medical stuff. We'll keep you in our prayers, and if there is anything we can do just let us know.

Trisha said...

Cora-he sleeps much better when he's in our bed, but we put an end to that about 2 weeks before we started this brushing stuff. He was doing so well, and now we're back to worse than square one! Meds?? Just melatonin. Not sure I want to add another med to his list, but it just might come down to that....