We saw C's OT yesterday. To make a long story short, we are not brushing anymore. I refuse to hold him down any longer to do it. We've been down that road before (well, with force feeding) and I am not doing it again. How can brushing be helping him if he's screaming and trying to get away from me the entire time? His OT told me that this is common the first couple days, but as the child gets used to it, they eventually like it. Well, not Caleb. I think it's made him worse. His OT decided that it would be best for us to take a break from all "sensory" retraining and get him back to his baseline. However, we are tying proprioception activities to help him with his body awareness, strength and to help decrease his "sensory seeking" behaviors.
Unfortunately, he really doesn't like to do any of the activities that she gave us and usually throws a fit when I suggest one of them. Probably because they are hard for him to do. (Obstacle courses over couch cushions, wheelbarrow/crab walking, carrying/pushing heavy objects, etc.) I have found, however, that he likes to be swaddled, so we do that throughout the day with his beanbag, and we are swaddling him from his chest to his feet at night. He calls himself "Cawub baweeto!" (Caleb burrito)
Anyway, I am not sure how much this OT will be able to help us. He's definitely a difficult patient. I just hope we can find something that helps our little man out!
Caleb Burrito:
4 comments:
I wonder if he'd like a weighted vest, or something like it? Too bad that the brushing didn't help (and made things worse too).
what about something like this:
http://www.beyondplay.com/ITEMS/E612.HTM
or
http://www.beyondplay.com/ITEMS/E918.HTM
We're trying a weighted vest for Hallie imminently (her OT promised to bring one next week to school) and I'll let you know how it goes. She also said that they are easy to make and a whole lot cheaper that way--I guess you make pockets for bean bags or weights or something (if you sew; I am thinking of outsourcing this task to someone who does sew if the vest works for Hallie).
Abby- We are sort of doing a modified version of the vest right now. His therapist had us make a "sock buddy" for him. It's simply a long sock stuffed with pinto beans from his therapy bin. He lays it on his lap when he's sitting, puts it on his shoulders, and sleeps with it on his chest. He constantly asks for it, so I think it is helping him some what. It will be interesting to see if it helps him at school tomorrow. Please let me know how the vest works, because I have considered getting one for C too.
Post a Comment